Today, Stacey, Mom and I ate lunch at The Varsity in Atlanta. I don't care how cold it is, that chili dog and onion rings (oh and the fries) make it worth the drive AND the walk across the parking lot!
After lunch, we went over the the High Museum of Art to see the Salvador Dali - The Late Work exhibit. It has been in town for months, but of course we wait until one of the coldest days of the year to go! I have only a passing interest in art... I know very little about it. I can recognize a Monet and maybe Dali's surrealism work. That's about it. However, Stacey is a huge admirer of his work, so there we were. The flier for the exhibit reads: "Get to know Salvador Dali, whose larger-than-life personality is as well known as his art. With more than 100 works - including paintings, drawings, prints, and photographs - this exhibition explores Dali's fascination with science, religion, and illusionism, and his surprising connections to such artists and celebrities of the 1960s and 1970s as Andy Warhol and Alice Cooper."
I can say that it was a HUGH exhibit. An entire floor of the museum. Room after room of his work and information about his work... plus a gift shop! Dali was no doubt a brilliant man, but as I said over and over today, I would not have wanted to live in his head. I'm not sure when he had time to paint... he was so interested in science and religion and many other subjects. All in all, it was a good exhibit... there were some things that made me laugh, some things that made me shake my head, and some things that just made me wonder.
At the gift shop, Stacey got a package of 10 note cards of various Dali paintings and split them with me. The one shown here is called "The Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory, 1952-54." (I say that's me!) We also purchased magnets and packages of stickers of actual Dali quotes to use in our scrapbooks.
Photographs were not allowed in the exhibit, but a really helpful and nice museum employee took our picture in the lobby (which was totally blurry - it's always a gamble when I let someone else hold my camera). We also went down to Peachtree Street and took a picture of the front of the museum with the Dali poster hanging on the building. The High Museum is one of my favorite pieces of architecture in Atlanta. It is a beautiful building.
Another entertaining day in Atlanta...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment