Friday, October 16, 2009

Phoenix/Grand Canyon Trip, Day 1, Wednesday, October 14

Drove to the airport in the rain. Even with stopping and getting Chicken Minis, we made it to the Park 'n Go by 9:15 am. Our flight was due to take off at 10:45. Tracy had let me know there was no holdups on the highways or through security at the airport, so I knew we had plenty of time. Dropped the car off and headed off to the airport. Had no problems checking our bags (I had paid for them when I checked in for our flight the day before.) and breezed right through security. I even forgot to put my quart-size Ziploc bag in the tray to go through the machine!! They didn't even say a word.

Got on the plane... and it ended up being 30 minutes late taking off. Because of the rain, there was a long line of planes ahead of us. But the pilot was entertaining and made it his mission to make up some of the time... which he did... about half of it. The flight was the smoothest I've ever taken. VERY little to no turbulence. Great experience for Mom's first time flying.

We landed in Phoenix and I have NEVER gotten checked luggage so quickly! We walked out to catch the rental car shuttle and it was already there! Phoenix Airport has all of their rental car companies under one roof. Very convenient! Getting our rental car (mini-van) was very simple, also. So we hit the road to find us something to eat! The only thing they gave us on the plane was 3 crackers and a little bag of pretzels, and our stomachs were on Georgia time! And that time was 3 o'clock!

I was amazed from the first moment I saw Phoenix. It is beautiful here. SO different from anything I've ever seen! There are rocks in front yards instead of grass. There are cacti everywhere... just like the ones you would see in the old Westerns! The trees and flowers are different... it is so interesting. And it appears that the zoning is the same all over Phoenix.... adobe houses and roofs... the western "feel" and "look" all the way! Even the McDonald's fit the style!

We found a Jack in the Box on the way to Aunt Evelyn's house in Sun City West. We talked to a nice guy there who commented on my accent first thing!

After eating, we drove to Aunt Evelyn's house. It was my first time to meet her and her husband, Ted. Mom had not seen her sister in over 45 years! It was an emotional reunion. Since both of them have been unable to drive due to health problems, we took them on a couple of errands and then we had dinner at Olive Garden. We dropped them off at home (after some mis-communication with the directions... let me just say that Aunt Evelyn is all over the place and worries a lot and forgets even more) and went to our motel, which was nearby.

I was wound up and while tired, really did not want to sleep! Too much to see and do and I felt like I didn't get started today. The only picture I took was of Aunt Evelyn and Ted, which was great, but I was itching to take pictures of the area!

(Oh, and as I had feared, it gets dark earlier here... 6 o'clock today! I don't like that too much and it's harder when you're traveling in a strange place and have to find your way in the dark. That might be the deal breaker to keep me from actually moving out here to this pretty place! LOL)

No comments: