Sunday, October 18, 2009

Phoenix/Grand Canyon Trip, Day 3, Friday, October 16 (Continued)

Where was I? Oh yea, after the IMAX movie...

Mom and I decided to try out the local steakhouse for dinner. A woman seats us at the smallest table she can find... just drops the menus and walks away. I went to wipe out the seat and find that there is beer spilled on it. A boy who was cleaning nearby told us we could move over a table, but the sun was coming in strong on that one so we moved up two tables... still a small one, but fine. Then we waited to be waited on... and waited... and waited. Meanwhile a couple who had come in after us and were seated almost right across from us was waited on... for drinks and their meal order. Finally, the woman who seated us walked up and just said "You ready to order?" We kind of looked at her blankly, I guess, cause she added that our server was not there, but she'd take our order. (So why did she seat us where there was no server?) We placed our order. After delivering food to another table, she brought our drinks and Mom's salad. I then observed the woman go up to another table and greet those people nicely with "hello"! Did she take an instant dislike to us or what?! Then another woman leads a couple to one of the original tables we were at... again with the drop the menu and walk away. The couple remained standing, and we heard them wondering if they wanted to sit there since it was so close to the fireplace and it was warm. I spoke up and told them they may want to move anyway since we were told that there is no server for the area and it had taken us a long time to be waited on. Well, a man walked by who was either the manager or owner or something...he never identified himself, and spun around and asked me if there was a problem. So I told him everything that had happened thus far, and how the woman had told us there was no server for us, how long we had to wait, and further wondered if she had taken instant dislike to us. Well, he proceeded to inform me that if we had a problem, that was fine, we could leave if we liked, but we did not need to tell other customers about the problem!! I had to ask him to clarify if I had heard him correctly. I paraphrased back to him, "So are you telling us that we can just leave, but don't tell other customers anything?!" To which he replied, "No, but you don't need to tell other customers stuff like that." Mom and I both jumped up and began to walk out - the whole time this man is repeating that we didn't need to tell another customer anything! I told him that other customers deserved to know about their bad service. He said that our order had already been put in, and I said to that "Too bad, so sad." And we left.

Can you believe that?! That is undoubtedly the worst I have ever been treated in a restaurant. And I am not sure where things went wrong. While it is true that we now expect and receive very little customer service every where we go, this is an all-time low. This entire town seems to be there to serve Grand Canyon tourists. You would think they would appreciate the customers at least a little bit.

We ended up eating at Wendy's. The food wasn't great, but the guy who waited on us was super nice. That counts for a lot.

We went back to the motel; I was on my laptop all evening, and Mom watched TV. Went to bed, though the room was hot. That a/c wasn't circulating much cool air at all!

No comments: