Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The countdown has started...

One week to go before our California trip. This time next Wednesday, Mom and I will be in a motel in Los Angeles. Hard to believe...

Today, I went shopping for some clothes... not many... just maybe a couple of shirts and shorts or Capri's... Well, let me tell you, when you are plus-sized, the choices are VERY limited. And it seems that I am in between two sizes, so the choices just dwindled to almost non-existent!! I'm far from "trendy," but was a couple of new things too much to ask for??!

Our California trip will be as jam-packed as our Washington DC trip last year. Only this time, I think there will be less walking and more driving (or maybe just more sitting in the car if the dire warnings I'm hearing about LA's traffic are anywhere close to accurate). I plan to journal here about our trip as it unfolds. I don't think I can top the near fight and the lady with the cane on the DC bus, but maybe I won't bore you either. This trip will be chock full of sightseeing AND genealogy. Something for everyone! ;)

Alas, Tracy misses all the fun again... but he's not real interested in seeing LA. I do hope to take him to the Grand Canyon one day. That is something he definitely needs to see! Daisy is going to miss me terribly... I hope she doesn't mourn too much. Tracy will come home every day to see her, and a friend is going to come over and let her out twice a day. (Oh, and for anyone who thinks this would be a good time to break into our house, let me just advise that we have a fence with an electric gate; a security alarm; a large dog; and people who will be coming in and out at odd hours. Plus there is nothing worth stealing... I wear costume jewelry and we don't have a plasma TV. You've been warned.)

Here's a synopsis of our itinerary:

Day 1, Weds, 09/29: Fly to LA, pick up rental car, check into motel, drive to the Santa Monica beach and pier, drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu and have dinner.

Day 2, Thurs, 09/30: Hollywood! Bus tour of stars' homes, wax museum, Hollywood Museum, walking tour of Hollywood, Walk of Fame (all the touristy stuff!)

Day 3, Fri, 10/01: LA Scrapbook Store, drive to San Bernardino and visit my great-grandparents' graves and where my mom went to college, drive to Redlands for the beginning of the Class of 1960 of Redlands High School Reunion weekend. A get reacquainted social this evening.

Day 4, Sat, 10/02: Bus Tour of Redlands (part of Reunion weekend), visit sites from Mom's childhood: the high school, library, her grandmother's former house, etc., scrapbook store. Then the actual reunion is this evening.

Day 5, Sun, 10/03: More sightseeing around Redlands, reunion picnic

Day 6, Mon 10/04: Drive over to Yucaipa to see where Mom grew up (or at least the area), drive back to LA

Day 7, Tues, 10/05: CALL MY HUSBAND AND WISH HIM HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (And Happy Birthday to William Tisdale, too!) Warner Bros. Studio tour and visit Griffith Park.

Day 8, Weds, 10/06: Fly home. Hug and pet dog; pet cats; hug and kiss husband; and collapse.

WHEW!!! Are you as tired reading it as I will be doing it?!!! LOL

Stay tuned, folks.

No comments: