Prompt: What technology do you remember your family having?
This prompted the memory of getting our first microwave oven. Don't ask me why, but I remember the exact date: August 4, 1980. (I was 13 years old.) I also remember that it cost about $400!!! Of course, it was from Sears, because my father believed that was the only place to buy appliances. I don't remember what made him go buy a microwave, but I know it was a surprise for my mother. I also can't recall if I went to Sears with my father (which was almost 2 hours away in Augusta) or if he went and bought it without me. (I would have been out of school for the summer.) I just remember being in the den (or library) when Daddy brought the microwave in the house through the glass sliding door there. I remember being totally excited about this new technology. The microwave was HUGE. I think it was one of the top of the line cause it had all the electronic bells and whistles. It came with a temperature probe and a recipe book. I don't specifically remember my mother's reaction when she got home from work, but I do remember my dad and I being very excited. It wasn't often (if ever!) that we got something new when it first came out. For instance, I don't remember having a VCR until I moved out on my own.
This Sears commercial on YouTube.com is from that time period and I think the first huge microwave he pulls out of the box is very similar to what Daddy bought that day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHqt1S40Oek
And this picture is from the 1983 Sears catalog (Oh, remember the Sears catalog?! More specifically, the Wish Book!!) That's a whole 'nother story to write!) is very similar to the one we had... just looks a little smaller. But the keypad is the same.
Oh! and here's the microwave cart we had! (Or do you still have it, Mom?!)
It's the top one (#1), but it's the one with the wicker looking doors (in the little inset picture)! How funny that I found these pictures!Now, the interesting part... Mom, when you read this, how about post a comment and tell me what you remember about that day? What did YOU think of getting that first, new microwave?
I do know that now my mother nor I would even think of not having a microwave in our homes. It is a necessity just like a stove or refrigerator. We use our microwaves almost every single day!
1 comment:
This is too funny. We had the same microwave. And got it about the same time as you did.
Post a Comment