Friday, November 12, 2010

I don't even know...

what to say about today!  I am exhausted; my eyes are tired and burning; and my brain is on overload.  I took five classes today: 

(1)  Getting the most from Family Tree Maker (the genealogy software program I use) - this class was about the newest version, 2011, and I realized very quickly that I HAVE to have it!!  LOL  They are having a show special on the software so after asking a couple of questions tomorrow, Donna and I will be ordering it, for sure!

(2)  Finding People Before They've Died - This class wasn't what I expected.  The instructor, while entertaining, declared right off the bat that he doesn't like genealogy and he doesn't come from that angle.  Oh, well, that's what the rest of us are there for.  But he did give us some new ideas for finding living relatives or non-relatives who may have known our relative and can tell us something about them.  Thinking outside the box, basically.

(3)  Digital Photography for the Family Historian - The instructor was the same one who taught the "Finding People..." class.  This one was better, but again, he was more geared toward taking everyday photos rather than using photography in our research.  He did hit on a few things briefly... like photographing documents or headstones at the cemetery, so it ended up OK.  He did have suggestions for items to include in a "Photos on the go kit" that were good ideas.

(4)  Genealogy on the Go - I learned the most from this class.  It was about using technology such as a laptop, netbook, flash drives, smartphones, etc. when we take our research on the road.  He gave us some good websites to look at that will sychronize our family information between our desktop and laptop or actually let you access your desktop computer from anywhere!  I have so much research to do!

(5)   My Ancestors Were from Germany and I don't speak German! - This was a good class; the instructor was excellent.  However, it was overwhelming.  Germany has such a troubled history (war about every 30 years); the geographical boundaries have changed numerous times; not to mention, the language barrier.  In addition, I do not have the items for my ancestor you HAVE to know in order to research German records.  For instance, you have to know their religion.  Well, I know what church he attended here in the U.S., but it wasn't Lutheran or Catholic, the two main religions of Germany at the time.  In addition, I do not know the exact location my ancestor, George Schwalls, was from.  He mostly just put Germany on the census; there is only one place that he got more specific and listed Bavaria.  However, the instructor told us that the Family History Center has not been allowed as yet to scan the microfilmed church records for Bavaria.  So I may hit a brick wall even if I take all the online courses on conducting German research and buy a German-English dictionary! 

I'm supposed to take another class tomorrow on German research... I can only hope the mud will clear some then.

I have a long list of to do items after I return home.  Also, Donna and I will have to get together and share with each other what we learned in each of our classes.  Will I ever get it all done??!!  I'm going have to live to be 150!!

No comments: