Friday, November 5, 2010

Trip to GA Mountains: Day 1, Fri, 10/29

After I finally got us all packed, cleaned litter boxes, left out instructions, cat food, and accessories for the cat sitter, Daisy and I finally hit the road about 11am.  Whew!  I could finally rest!  LOL  Daisy was excited because she knew something big was up.  She had whined constantly before we left home, and she continued to whine during the drive.  I did stop in Grayson at a park and walked her for a few minutes.  That seemed to help calm her. 

We got to Tracy's office in Cumming about 1pm, and he had gotten us Chick-fil-A for lunch.  Daisy was all excited to see her daddy and thought the office was an exciting place to check out! 

The three of us headed north.  Tracy tends to get in his zone and not look at what's coming up on the roadside, so we passed several yard sales, flea markets, and antique stores without stopping.  I like to sight-see on trips; being a man, he's all about getting there.  He did finally stop at one antique store outside of Jasper, I think.  We didn't find anything to buy, but it was fun to look. 

In Pickens County, right before the Gilmer County line, there is a scenic pull off.  We stopped so we could let Daisy walk for a few minutes, and it's a good thing we did, because they were about the only turning leaves we saw!  The trees here had beautiful yellow, orange, and red leaves.  The ones up in Blue Ridge had not turned yet.  Oh, well.  We managed to get Daisy to stop sniffing long enough for Tracy to take a few pretty good pictures of she and I.  I rarely get pictures of me with her since I take most all of the family photos.  Here's one of us and the pretty leaves at this stop:


She does not like her picture taken.  She will look away every time.  A digital camera is not fast enough.  I literally have to taken a dozen pictures to get one good one.  You have to be sneaky and quick to get a picture of her looking at you!

We arrived at the cabins' office a few minutes after 4pm.  No one was there.  We called their house (on site) and the daughter and husband came down to check us in.  They could not locate the paperwork.  The husband told us to go on and get settled in, and we'd take care of it later.  We went to the cabin and unloaded the car.  You could tell that Daisy didn't know quite what to think.  After a bit, we went to town to get some dinner.  We had planned to go to the drive-in movie that evening, but we decided that we should give Daisy some time to settle into the new surroundings and move around a bit, rather than forcing her to lie in the backseat for two hours.

By far, the hardest part of traveling with your dog is eating out.  Of course, no restaurant allows dogs, and most do not have outside seating.  I felt guilty leaving her in the car - it was her vacation, too!  And I certainly was not going to leave her alone in the cabin - a strange place.  So we ended up eating Wendy's... we thought it would be quick.  Boy were we wrong!  I felt like that comedian, John Pinette.  It's Wendy's people... you don't have to be a genius to order.  If it's that hard:  'GET OUT OF THE LINE'!!!  LOL 

After we finally ate, we decided to go back to the cabin and watch our Netflix movie I had brought.  Of course, it was dark by the time we returned.  We pull up to the cabin, I got out, Daisy jumped out... and started barking.  About that time, I hear a voice behind me.  It almost scared me to death!  It was the cabin owner, wanting us to come down to the office RIGHT THEN so she can run our credit card!  What the??  I mean we were there on time, and it just HAD to be done right this moment?!  Whatever.  Tracy drove back down there and took care of it.  When he came back, he had a copy of the rental agreement which she was supposed to have e-mailed to us beforehand, along with the directions.  (She didn't.) So we get ready to watch our DVD and... no DVD player.  What?!  I could have sworn the cabin description said there was a DVD player.  I happened to start reading over the rental agreement and it stated that DVD players were available upon request!  So Tracy had to drive back down to the office to get a DVD player, which she basically handed to him and said "Good Luck - hope you are good at hooking up electronics."!!!  He is.  (I told Tracy she could go to Goodwill and get DVD players for each cabin for less than one new DVD player would cost!  I have bought DVD players, VCRs, TVs, and a coffee maker from the Goodwill, and they all worked great!)  We watched the movie and went to bed.  

I had brought Daisy's bed, and Tracy had placed it in the middle of the cabin (The cabin being all one room.).  But she didn't seem happy there.  She kept trying to crawl under the bed, like she does at home, but that bed was way too low for her.  So finally Tracy moved her bed over to my side and placed it between the bed and the wall.  She finally settled down.  I never sleep well the first night in a strange place, and I don't think she does either. By morning, she was on the bed with us! 

No comments: