After not much sleep, we got ready to spend our full day in the mountains. I had found a scenic driving tour online so we decided to do that in the morning, since it had plenty of places to stop and get Daisy out for a walk. Then we would hit downtown Blue Ridge and visit the shops there in the afternoon.
We headed to McDonald's first for breakfast. The McDonald's in Blue Ridge is one busy place. But even at 10am, the Waffle House was still full, so we had to take the least busy. Daisy waited patiently in the car. As we were leaving, a man who worked there walked up to the car to talk to Daisy. Now our dog is pretty friendly with people and rarely barks at anyone who is visiting with her. But she started barking at this guy and just wouldn't stop! I have to think she could sense something "off" about him. I told Tracy a long time ago, that I think she is an a**hole detector. I myself trust my dog's instincts. On Sunday, we went through the drive thru at the same McDonald's on our way out of town, and this same guy walked by and waved and spoke to Daisy, and she barked at him again! She obviously knew something we didn't!
The scenic drive was somewhat scenic. As I said, the leaves weren't really turning yet in the area. The guide pointed out some historical homes, areas where Indians had lived as early as 1835, a one lane wooden bridge, and natural sites such as Blue Ridge Lake (which was WAAAAY down cause they are working on the dam) and the Toccoa River. Here's pics of both:
Daisy's favorite part was the hike to Fall Branch Falls. She loved it! The woods, the smells, barking at other dogs, people telling her how pretty she is, and believe it or not, the water! Now the guide claimed it was an easy 1/4 mile hike to the base of the falls. Yea, it didn't mention that it was straight up and more like 1/2 mile, at the least! (Or maybe 10 miles - that's more what it felt like!!) When we reached the falls, there was a family there that was actually hoisting their children up the shear rock face of the falls! Unbelievable! People are so incredibly stupid... anyway, because they were all in the way and would not move, it was hard to get good pictures of the falls. Then a family came up with a couple of dogs. Well, of course, Daisy goes crazy, barking and pulling. We have tried many of Cesar Milan's techniques, but she is so focused and it's hard to get her out of that zone. We moved off the viewing deck and stepped over to the edge of the stream, and Daisy went right into the water! I think she thought she could go that way and get to one of the dogs, but when that didn't work, then she realized how good that mountain water tastes! LOL She proceeded to jump into the stream at least 2 more times on the hike back down!! Take a look:
She is such a funny and spoiled DOG!!
On the drive back to the main road, we passed this creepy sounding subdivision:
How would you like to sleep THERE??!! No, thank you!
After we finished our drive, it was time for lunch. Again, I felt guilty about having to leave Daisy in the car, especially since she whined when we left her. This restaurant had terribly slow service, so we both ended up checking on her. The food was good, (Tracy had shrimp pasta and I had the broiled local trout.) but for $38 for lunch, it should have been the best we've ever had - and it wasn't!
We drove back to downtown Blue Ridge. I had contacted the old time photo store and inquired whether they allow dogs. They replied that they do, so that was one thing I really wanted to do on this trip. We headed there first. The lady was very nice and helpful. Daisy let her put a bandanna on her with no problem; Tracy dressed like an outlaw, and I was just a lady of the day. It was a lot of fun, and Daisy posed so beautifully - she is definitely the photogenic one in this family! Yea, she'd look at the camera for this woman (especially when I stood behind the woman! LOL).
We left there and found the dog and cat store. We bought Daisy a tennis ball that squeaks (She LOVES it, and so does Zeus!) and her own bandanna. She was so cute wearing it around town. A lot of the stores put out water bowls for visiting dogs. I am sure many of the stores allowed dogs, but we didn't risk it. Plus they were having Halloween in town that evening, and it was starting to get very crowded. We were all tired, and we headed back out to the cabin for a little rest.
We talked ourselves out of going to the drive-in movie again because we were just so tired. I figured that's how it would turn out. When we went back to town, I just did a little shopping in Roses (We don't have them around here!), and we ate dinner at Waffle House. We didn't even watch another movie on DVD that night! I think we all slept a little better since we had gotten fresh air and exercise that day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment